5 - Steps To A Healthy Organic Lawn
1. Mow Right - THE MOST IMPORTANT CULTURAL PRACTICE!
Mow High - 3-1/2 inches - encourage deep roots and shade the soil. Cut no more than 1/3 of the grass blade at a time.
Avoid mowing wet grass.
2. Sharp Mower Blades - PREVENT TEARING GRASS BLADE.
Sharpen mower blades after every 8 hours. Damaged grass blades lose moisture and are susceptible to disease.
3. Return Grass Clippings - ADD ORGANIC MATTER IT'S A NATURAL FERTILIZER.
BAG grass clippings when weed seeds and flowers are present (ie. crabgrass, dandelions) to mitigate further spread of seeds.
4. Water - DEEP, INFREQUENTLY AND IN THE MORNING.
3/4 - 1 inch of water a week(1-2X week). Over watering leads to soil compaction and disease. During extreme heat, water more frequently for shorter periods.
5. Scout for Weeds & Pests - WEEDS INDICATE UNDERLYING SOIL CONDITIONS.
Work at creating the environment grass requires to grow. Manually pull weeds and re-seed bare areas, treat grubs with hB nematodes.